How to Become a US Permanent Resident

How to Become a Permanent Resident in the United States

Scholarships in United States

In the United States, US Permanent Residents receive most of the same benefits received by US Citizens. Permanent Residents applies for a job without any concern at all since they don’t have to worry about their citizenship status.

For Permanent Residents, Green Card is provided to prove their status, and it gives the holder the right to live and to work in the United States indefinitely. Even though Permanent Residents have the same benefits, there are some exceptions to those benefits as well.

Green Card Eligibility Requirements

You might have thought that you could just apply for Green Card at any time, but that is not the case! Even before applying for a Green Card, you need to fit one of the key eligibility requirements stated by the US Government. Just meet one of the listed following requirements, and you will be able to apply for the Green Card.

Also, all this information is listed in the US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

1. Getting a Green Card Through Family

For international students, marrying a US Citizen was the easiest way to get a Green Card, but there are other ways to get a Green Card so don’t worry! This is one of the most common ways to get a Green Card and one of the easiest ways.

Just have family relations with a US Citizen, and you are set for the Green Card application process. For some, this relation might be a good thing, but for others, you might have been abused by a family member who is a US Citizen. In either case, you are qualified for the Green Card if you have a family member who is a US Citizen or a Permanent Resident.

As always, there are several exceptions that come into play, but don’t give up your hopes too soon! Make sure to read all the eligibility requirements and the special details, and please apply for a Green Card if you are eligible.

You are eligible for a Green Card if you fit any one of the family requirements listed below.

  1. Be an Immediate Relative to a US Citizen
    • Spouse (Husband / Wife) of a US Citizen
    • Children (Under the Age of 21 AND Unmarried) of US Citizen
    • Parent of a US Citizen (At Least the Age of 21)
  2. Be a Relative of a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
    • Children (Over the Age of 21 AND Unmarried) of US Citizen
    • Spouses of Permanent Residents
    • Children (Unmarried and Under 21) of Permanent Residents
    • Children (Unmarried and Over 21) of Permanent Residents
    • Children (Married) of US Citizens
    • Brothers / Sisters of US Citizens
  3. Fiancé of a US Citizen / Child of a US Citizen’s Fiancé
  4. Widow / Widower of a US Citizen
  5. VAWA* Self-Petitioner

*VAWA is known as Violence Against Women Act, and this is for victims of battery or extreme cruelty committed by US Citizens (this is not to offend any US Citizens out there, but there are some people who are US Citizens who disrespect women by committing these crimes) against the following:

  • Spouse or a former spouse of a US Citizen
  • Parent of a US Citizen
  • Son / Daughter of a US Citizen
  • Spouse or a former spouse of a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR)
  • Parent of an LPR

In order to allow the victims more freedom and power, the US Government allowed self-petition so that you don’t need your abusive family member’s knowledge or consent when applying for a Green Card. If your application is approved and the eligibility requirements are met, then the VAWA Self-Petitioner can become a Permanent Resident through the Green Card.

These crimes should not be happening, but the US Government provides this family option for those who want to free themselves from their abusive family member who uses his citizenship as a threat and not as an opportunity to provide and care for his family.

Before we go any further, you might be confused with the requirements since I could have just listed children of US Citizens and Permanent Residents, and this would have been a whole lot easier. However, the US Government have given preferences in a certain order since you can’t just give out Green Card to everyone.

Since they have to prioritize even eligible Green Card members, they need to list them so people won’t get angry if their application gets rejected due to these preferences. Let’s go on to our next family requirement!

2. Getting a Green Card Through Employment

For students who want to obtain the Green Card through their own merit, this might be the best option for you. There are several ways in which you can apply, and you are eligible for a Green Card if you meet one of the following categories.

  1. Immigrant Worker
    • Immigrants who show outstanding achievement in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics
    • Exceptional professors and researchers of their fields
    • Multinational company’s managers and executives
    • Immigrants who hold advanced degrees or exceptional potential through their outstanding achievements
    • Skilled workers, professionals, or other workers
  2. Physician National Interest Waiver
    • Foreign nationals who hold advanced degrees in their profession and also agree to work for a certain time period in a designated underserved area
  3. Immigrant Investor
    • Invested or in process of investing from $500,000 to $1 million and creating at least 10 full-time positions for qualifying employees

Conclusion: More Options!

As you can see, the first two methods are the most common ways of getting a Green Card from the US Government; however, there are more ways of getting a Green Card than these two options. To see all eligibility categories of the Green Card, please visit US Green Card Eligibility Categories.

For students who are looking for scholarships, please visit Authority Scholarships for great scholarship posts about popular universities in the United States. Have a great day and good luck!